February 27, 2004
Ballad of the Devil's Backbone Tavern
You Think You Know Somebody
Rose City Blues
[Better Than Ever Blues, Part 2 intro]
Better Than Ever Blues, Part 2
Keep Off the Grass
Late Last Night
Betty Was Black (Willie Was White)
This Land is Our Land > Fortunate Son [CCR]
[Universal Studios story]
Alright Guy > [Guidance counselor story]
Good News Blues
MEDIA: 2 CDR
TAPER: Brian Kincaid
NOTES: Recording includes opening set by Will Kimbrough as filler.
Will Kimbrough opened this show and joined Todd for a portion of his set. As Todd is trying to introduce himself , he calls out an audience member who won't quit yelling: "Hey, listen, is that you again who said that? Listen, seriously, I'm not joking. This is not one of the funny parts of the show. If you keep yelling at me while I'm trying to talk, I gonna ask somebody to ask you to leave...so fuckin' stop it. Go back to the frat house and yell." Todd tells the crowd that he went to the doctor recently and "was prescribed no more drugs." A long-time fan and friend of Todd's (familiar to many of us) joins Todd on stage for Guaranteed in celebration of her birthday.
On Ballad of the Devil's Backbone Tavern:
On Sideshow Blues:
- "I've been bummin' around this country singing songs for tips and beers. Mostly beers."
- "The nights are long and the driving is tough and the hotel's don't smell well..."
On Alright Guy:
- "While I'm out in this tent with all these freaks and musicians. Finally at a cool fuckin' club in Louisville with all you musicians and freaks."
- "I know I'm dirty, and I know I don't use a lot of soap. But tonight's my friend Michelle's birthday so we're probably gonna force her to smoke some dope."
- "Hey, old timer, we're gonna have to get you to step out of the car. I was only kiddin' when I called him a young fuckin' dick."