July 3, 2005
Blank Park Zoo -
Des Moines, IA
Ballad of the Devil's Backbone Tavern
[Judge Judy story]
All My Life
[K.K. Rider story]
Don't It Make You Wanna Dance [Rusty Weir]
Ballad of the Kingsmen > It's Your Thing [Isley Brothers]
Play a Train Song
Good News Blues
Easy Money > It's Only Rock 'n' Roll [Rolling Stones]
Alright Guy > [Guidance counselor story]
MEDIA: 2 CDR
TAPER: LaVerne Kreklau
MEDIA: 1 DVD
TAPER: Ken Keiran
SCREENSHOTS: IMAGE 1 | IMAGE 2 | IMAGE 3 | IMAGE 4 | IMAGE 5
With Tommy Womack on guitar and Peter Cooper on bass. With this show being at a zoo, Todd tones down his language quite a bit since there are obviously several families with children in the crowd (see VARIATIONS below). This is especially evident before he tells the K.K. Rider story: "Is it okay if I tell you a story? I won't cuss in front of your kids." At the end of this story, Todd drops and F-bomb: "I knew that would happen. Think how long that took though. Those of you who have seen me before, think how long that took." Towards the end of the show, Todd puts a plug in for David Zollo's performance later that evening at A.K. O'Connor's -- he mentions that they will all be there and that "Tommy's buying."
On Ballad of the Devil's Backbone Tavern:
On Ballad of the Kingsmen:
- "Then one night after closing, she poured me up a beer. She said, "You know you can't sing the next line to this song, kid, there's kids in here."
On Statistician's Blues:
- "It's not gonna be because of something that Eminem says in his song."
- "So he formed a band, man. And they wear make-up. And they get a lot of chicks."
- "Well, heck, by this time the kid doesn't know what anything is worth."
On Easy Money:
- "They say that 80% of everything you learn in college is just stuff you're not gonna need."
- "They say that a lot of the people that do statistics for a living, they really, they really, they don't like their jobs. And so as it turns out, that coupled with the fact that 20% of people who rob banks rob banks that are within 20 miles, they live within 20 miles of the bank that they rob. There's a little bank down there in Ames. I think I'm gonna rob it."
On Beer Run:
- "She stepped in for some cigs and she never ever saw him again."
On Alright Guy:
- "They met these other old hippies named Bob and Tom."
- "I had that new book with pictures of David Zollo naked in it and I was checking it out."
- "I know I never take a shower and I know I used to smoke cigarettes. We're playing the zoo in the middle of teh afternoon and I want to write back home with no regrets."
- "I know I get wild. Peter's drunk."